Monday, May 5, 2014

Tipping Your Vendors and a DIY Tip Card

Now, I’m not trying to start the eternal debate here about who, how, and when to tip your wedding vendors.  I know we could debate that all day and still never come up with the “right” answer. 

I think in the end, you just need to do what’s right for you and what won’t keep you up at night.  After working in the service industry for 3+ years in my college days, not tipping someone who may potentially make less than minimum wage would most definitely keep me up at night, so not tipping our vendors was out of the question. 

But once we got that settled, it opened a whole new bag of worms.  Who do we tip?  How much do we tip?  WHEN do we give these people their tip?  Who will do the tipping because I know I’ll be too far gone by the end of the night to remember anything!

To Google we go!

According to etiquitte guru Martha and The Knot, here’s who you should be tipping on your wedding day:


Vendor

Amount/Percentage

Exceptions

Day-Of Coordinator/Event Planner

Varies depending on the amount of work they did.

 

Hair/Makeup Stylist

15-20%

 

Officiant

$50 - $100

Typically a donation if they are associated with a relgious institution

Photographer/Videographer

$50 - $200 per vendor

 

Reception Wait Staff

15-20% of the final bill

Check your contracts first – sometimes a service charge is already built in

Reception Bartenders

$20 - $25 per bartender

Unnecessary if they have a tip jar available while serving

DJ

$50 - $100

 

Musicians

$15-$20 per musician

 

Shuttle/Limo Driver

15-20% of the final bill

 

Florist

$25 - $100

If they are delivering/setting up on-site and the intensity of the arrangements

Alright so now we know how much, but am I really just going to hand over an envelope full of cash?  It seems kind of…lame. 

Enter tip cards – have you ever heard of them?  They’re cute little bill-sized cards you stash money in to give to your vendors on your wedding day. 

I’m not sure where I first saw these cute little buggers, but I’m almost positive it was this post on WeddingBee that convinced me I needed to make them for myself.

Honestly, I think they’re a really nice touch and a little more personal than just handing over an envelope of cash.  And even though they’ll end up in the trash two seconds after being opened, this project is easy and cheap enough that that doesn’t really bother me.

So here’s what you’ll need to make these for yourself:
  • My editable tip card template
  • My tip card backing template
  • White cardstock for printing the actual card
  • Contrasting cardstock for the backing template
  • Scissors and/or a paper cutter
  • Envelopes for your finished tip cards
  • Glue
Doeblerghini Bunch:  Tip Card Supplies

First things first, open the tip card template and update the names so Dude and I aren’t thanking your vendors.  Then, print out as many copies as you need on the white cardstock.

Cut them apart using either scissors or a paper cutter.  I’ll take any excuse to use my paper cutter, so you know what I used!
 
Doeblerghini Bunch:  DIY Tip Card - Cutting sheets apart

Then, using an Xacto knife or a razor blade (or tiny scissors if you’re really talented), cut out the two diagonal lines at the top of the template and the long vertical line after the text.  We’ll be using these holes to hold the money.

Can I recommend you putting a cutting board or something other than your dining room table directly under the card?  Otherwise you may end up with lovely little scratches all over the only piece of furniture Pepper your dog hasn’t ruined…
 
Doeblerghini Bunch:  DIY Tip Card - Bill slits with razor blade

Once that’s done, cut out my backing template and use it to cut out backs for your tip cards.

Run a line of glue along the corners of the tip card.  Make sure there is no glue near the lines that you cut otherwise your tip will end up being glued to the card!

Doeblerghini Bunch:  DIY Tip Card - Where to Glue

Flip the card over and glue it onto the backing card and voila!  A super cute, personal tip card. 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  DIY Tip Card

All that’s left is to stick some cash in it and put it in an envelope to give to your vendors on wedding day!

Doeblerghini Bunch:  DIY Tip Card with Money

Don’t worry, my vendors will be getting more than $1! 

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I love these!
    Such an amazing idea.
    Thank you for the templates.
    Could you please explain how i can change the font?
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comments! If you want to change the font, just create new text boxes in Word and move them overtop of my original text. If you run into any issues, send me an email (doeblerghini@gmail.com) with your font choices and I'll make a custom one for you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete