Friday, May 9, 2014

Envelope Lining

While I’m on the whole “DIY project that no one will appreciate except me” kick, I think it’s time to share my envelope lining tutorial with you. 

I haven’t mentioned our invitations too much since the majority of the designing happened while I was on my unofficial hiatus, but let me give you a rundown.

Since we aren’t really sticking with a theme for the wedding other than bright colors and summer fun, I had (yet another) blank slate to start with when it came time to design our formal invitations. 

I can’t tell you how many Etsy/Wedding Chicks/Paper Source/Cards and Pockets/Etc. forever until infinity invitation templates I looked at.  I showed Dude maybe…20?  25?  We weren’t in love with any of them, but as our deadline creeped closer and closer, I found three that I could live with.

Then, one afternoon, inspiration struck in the form of this blog post and a few (frustrating!) days later, Dude and I had an invitation we loved.  Well, I loved, Dude probably only said he loved it so I would stop showing him pictures of invitation suites. 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Invites are In!
 
Don’t worry I’ll do a detail post once the invites are in the mail! 

Thanks to a VistaPrint Groupon, we got our invitations printed insanely cheap.  But typical me, I wasn’t happy with the plain white envelopes they included with their invitations.  So I spent the savings and ordered both Outside and RSVP envelopes in grey and orange from Cards and Pockets.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Our fancy orange and grey envelopes
Bonus:  Check out our super cute return address stamp from InvitationBox!
Side note - I’ve been reading Elise Blaha’s blog enJOY it. for awhile now; and I think I read every single one of her wedding posts in one afternoon.  If you have time, you should seriously check it out, totally gorgeous!  She is so super talented; it’s hard to believe we’re the same age!

Anyways, one of her wedding posts mentioned how she painstakingly picked out scrapbook paper to line her invitation envelopes.  It made such a difference with her envelopes; I decided to try it out with ours. 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Envelope Liner - Before and After
 
I was immediately hooked.  I tried to tell myself – “Who cares?  No one will notice!”  “The envelopes end up in the trash anyways, why would you waste time on something like this?” 

But for days it plagued me… and I ended up deciding, much like the tip cards, that even if no one noticed or loved it, I would notice and I loved it and that was enough.

And that’s the story of how I spent 4 evenings and 3.5 hour-long lunch breaks cutting and pasting (what felt like) a million envelope liners. 

Did my before and after picture convince you?  Are you ready to line your invitation envelopes too?  If that’s the case, there’s an A7, European Flap envelope liner template below, as well as some lovely pictures and tips to guide you from start to finish.

Let’s go!

You’ll need the following:
  • Enough patterned scrapbook paper to line all your envelopes (you’ll get two liners per 12x12 sheet
  • Scissors (Can I suggest investing in a nice pair or at least sharpening your old pair?)
  • Glue of some sort – the Crafter’s tape that I bought worked so nicely, I highly recommend it!
  • Some kind of writing utensil
  • A7 envelopes
  • A7 envelope liner template
Doeblerghini Bunch:  Envelope Liner - Supplies

Start by tracing the template onto a stiff sheet of something – I used cardboard from a graham cracker box.  You’re going to be tracing this thing a million times onto your scrapbook paper, so you want to make sure it’s sturdy enough to hold up!

Once you’ve got your template ready, trace it onto your scrapbook paper.  If you always line the straight edge of the template perpendicular along the edges of the scrapbook paper, you can fit at least two liners on one sheet of 12x12 scrapbook paper. 

Someone that’s better at Tetris than I am could probably figure out a way to fit 3, but two per sheet worked fine for me.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Envelope Liner - Tracing Template
 

If the barcode for your paper is on the front side of your sheet, make sure when you’re tracing you don’t do something dumb like this…

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Envelope Liner - Messed Up Liner
 
Keep tracing and tracing and tracing until all your scrapbook paper has a liner template traced onto it; and then start cutting.  And cutting and cutting and cutting.  At some point you’ll end up with a bright and colorful pile that looks kind of like this.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Envelope Liner - Liners cut up in a pile

To secure your liners inside the envelopes, run a line of glue either on the liner itself or on the envelope from the top of the tip to about where the fold will be.  This is enough glue to secure the liner, but if you wanted to run a line across the bottom edge of the liner, you could to that too. 

I went a little crazy with the glue at first.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Envelope Liner - Where to Glue
 
But eventually I found two strips of Crafter’s Tape right next to the glue line of the envelope worked perfectly. 

Then, carefully slide the liner into the envelope.  Try your best to not let the liner touch the glue strips until you’re sure it’s in the proper place.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Envelope Liner - Liner sliding into envelope
 
Once it is, smooth down the liner and fold the envelope flap down to make sure the liner doesn’t wrinkle up when the envelope is sealed.

And after four days of doing this over and over and over, you’ll have an army of gorgeous envelopes!

Doeblerghini Bunch:  A gorgeous army of lined envelopes
So pretty!

Did any of you do crazy, time-consuming projects for your wedding that you knew no one would appreciate?

No comments:

Post a Comment