Thursday, March 20, 2014

Table Accessories

Ugh…centerpieces, the bane of my existence.

Here’s the good news – the reception package we chose at The Atrium provides centerpieces for our tables. 

The bad news?  They are…not my style, let’s put it that way.

So I’ve been debating back and forth whether I should suck it up and use The Atrium’s centerpieces since they’re free (who notices centerpieces, anyway??) or if I should spend the extra money and either DIY the centerpieces or have our florist handle them. 


When it came down to it, I kind of loved the idea of edible centerpieces - specifically candy centerpieces.

The problem with candy centerpieces is that for me, it was really hard to make them wedding-appropriate and not scream “JOEY’S FIFTH BIRTHDAY PARTY!!!” 
 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Kids Birthday Candy Centerpieces


Doeblerghini Bunch:  Kids Birthday Candy Centerpieces 2

On top of that, they’re a lot of work – we’d need to find the containers for the candy and also arrange them before hand AND have someone place them on the tables.

But the pros of a candy centerpiece are that 1) the guests would (hopefully) mingle and grab candy from other tables.  2) We could kill two birds with one stone and leave take out boxes on the table and have that be the favor and 3) who doesn’t love candy, I mean, come on?!

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Blue Wedding Candy Centerpieces

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Red Carnival Candy Centerpieces


Doeblerghini Bunch:  Cotton Candy/Sprinkles Centerpieces

While I was on the edible centerpiece thought train, Dude and I both considered having cookie centerpieces.  We thought we could buy tiered serving platters and have a specific kind of cookie at each table.  The pros for cookie centerpieces were the same pros we had for the candy centerpieces – mingling, favors, and duh – cookies!! – with one added bonus, instead of numbering the tables, we could name them after their cookie! 
 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Cookie Centerpieces

But again, the problem with cookie centerpieces is logistics.  We would either need to delegate someone to set them up and arrange the cookies or do it ourselves. 

Edible Arrangements were a short-lived idea.  It came up in a Google search for “edible centerpieces,” and was pretty much thrown out immediately because of cost.  Besides that, our wedding will be in August and let’s be real, there’s not much that’s grosser than warm and mushy fruit. 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Fruit/Edible Arrangement Centerpieces

While looking for non-traditional centerpieces, I came across this amazing wedding where they had board games as centerpieces.


Doeblerghini Bunch:  Board Game Centerpieces

Needless to say, I LOVED that idea!  It would get our guests mingling and I can’t think of a single wedding I’ve ever been to that even had board games there, and certainly not as centerpieces!

Board game centerpieces would also tie in to the lawn games we’re planning on having outside, so that’s a plus.

And then there’s always the old standby of floral centerpieces. 

But here’s why I’m not a fan of floral centerpieces –
  1. Cost
  2. They die
The dying thing was killing me (HAR HAR).  I kept saying to myself – we’ll be spending so much money on these stupid things and they’ll just go in the garbage at the end of the night. 

I was whining to MOH BsB about it at one point and she suggested donating the flowers.  She works at an assisted living home for Alzheimer’s patients and she said she’d be happy to bring any leftover arrangements or bouquets to the home after the wedding and give them to her patients.

Ok, now that’s an idea I could get behind!  They would look great on our tables for the night and for the rest of their lifespan, they’ll brighten someone else’s day!  Perfect!

So we looked and we looked for floral centerpieces we could stomach and through a random Pinterest search, I found this gorgeous arrangement.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Long and Bright Floral Centerpiece

SWOOOOOOOON.  I absolutely love this.  It is bright, fun, non-traditional and our florist is including that yellow pincushion flower in my bouquet.  Now, we only have the option of round tables, so this would need to be cut down and put in a square vase instead, but I could live with that!

And then Dude found this one he loved.


So we went to visit our florist with the hopes she would give us a great price and we could finally stop thinking about these gosh darn things!! 

Thankfully, Jen came through again, and we were able to get a pretty good price on the centerpieces, assuming we purchase our own “vessels.”  Meaning we’re going to have A LOT of fishbowls and square vases to buy in the next few months.

Thank goodness I know all the couponing rules at Michaels and JoAnn’s!!  What are you guys doing for your centerpieces?  Non-traditional?  Flowers?  If you're having board games as your centepieces, can I be invited to your wedding? 

No comments:

Post a Comment