Monday, March 3, 2014

Making my Dad Cry


I mentioned in my Parental Gifts post that I wanted to make a tie patch for my Dad and yesterday I was actually able to finish it!

Because I think this is an awesome personal touch for Fathers of the Bride since they are kind of forgotten before and after the father/daughter dance – I’m going to share how I made my patch and pass on the pattern I created so you guys can make them too!  

I created two versions of the pattern – one JPEG that can be printed as-is, and a word document with a text box that allows you to change the date to your wedding date.  If you need them - the fonts I used were Grand Hotel and Always Forever.

Before we get started, I’ve got to apologize for the lack of consistency in these tutorial photos.  Some I took when I was making a practice patch and the others I while I was sewing the real deal. 

Now that that’s out of the way - let’s get started! 

You’ll need these supplies:

“I Loved You First” Tie Patch Pattern - Note:  This pattern will not fit a skinny tie
Word Document Tie Patch Pattern
JPEG Tie Patch Pattern

Embroidery Thread in your preferred colors (you can use the leftovers for friendship bracelets!)
Embroidery Needle(s)
Embroidery Hoop (I used a 4” one, but you can use whatever size you have on hand)
1/4 yard of linen fabric (or your fabric of choice)
Pinking Shears (optional, but an easy way to finish the edges of your patch)
Fabric marker/pencil
Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Supplies

Cut out the pattern and then place it under your linen. 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Pattern

Lightly trace over the pattern onto the linen.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Pattern Traced

Unscrew the fastener at the top of your embroidery hoop and remove the smaller, inner hoop.  Center your traced pattern on top of the small hoop and secure the larger hoop around it.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Pattern on Hoop

Prepare your thread for embroidering by splitting it in half.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Split Thread

Knot the end, and thread the other end through your embroidery needle.

Now it’s time to start embroidering!  Wild Olive has an amazing tutorial series on embroidery if you’d like to try different stitches than the ones I use or if my tutorial isn’t clear.

I used a backstitch for the letters and numbers on the patch because it’s one of the few embroidery stitches I’m familiar with.  And I used a chain stitch for the heart.

First up, the backstitch.  It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like.  You start one stitch length away from the top of the first letter and then bring the needle back to

Here it is in pictures:

In the picture below, I’m trying to fill in the top of the F.  So I inserted my needle from the bottom up one stitch length away from the top. 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Backstitch Step 1

Then I brought the needle and thread the whole way through and went down at the top of the F.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Backstitch Step 2

A note about round letters – it is much easier to get pretty round letters if you make small stitches.  Check out the 8 in the picture below.  The top of the 8 was completed in 3 stitches.  The bottom half was 5.  See how much prettier and rounder the bottom half is?

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Round Shapes

So keep backstitching until all your letters are complete.  With normal embroidering, it’s important to make the back as clean and neat as possible; but since this is getting sewn to a tie, I don’t think it matters.

To finish off your stitching, you’ll have to knot the thread on the back side. 

In case you were sick this day in Home Ec, all you need to do is bring your needle to the back side of your work and slip it under the stitching closest to the needle.  Before pulling the thread tight, pull the needle through the loop and then pull it tight. 

Again, here it is in pictures:

Bring the needle under your stitches, without going through the fabric.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Knotting

Before pulling the thread tight, push the needle through the loop you just created.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Knotting Step 2

Now that you’re done with your lettering, you’ll need to stitch the heart around it.

I tried this with a split stitch and a chain stitch on my practice patch, but ended up liking the chain stitch better, so I went with that on the final piece.  But not to worry - I'll show you how to do both stitches!

The stem stitch is super, crazy simple.  It’s base is a simple backstitch, but instead of lining each stitch end-to-end, you backstitch to the middle of the stitch before it. 

Well, that was confusing. 

Hopefully these pictures help.

Here’s the start of the backstitch.  Bring your needle up through the bottom, one stitch away from your previous stitch.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch -Chain Stitch Step 1

Bring the needle backwards to the center of the stitch before it.  And push your needle down underneath the stitch, catching just the fabric, not the thread and fabric.  Bringing the needle down through the thread and your fabric will create a Frankenstein-ish split stitch.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Chain Stitch Step 2

Repeat that stitch all the way around the heart and you’ll end up with something like this.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Chain Stitch Row

The other stitch I tried for the heart outline was a split stitch.  This is another stitch that sounds like what it is.  Instead of sewing stitches end-to-end, you’ll be splitting the stitch in the middle.  So if you plan on using a split stitch, make sure you have an even number of threads in your embroidery thread.

Here we go…

Start with the backstitch we’ve been working on and create one plain stitch.   Then bring your needle up from the bottom of your work, one stitch length away from the original stitch. 

Bring your needle backwards and use the tip of it to split your threads in half.  Then push your needle through the split, right at the tip of the stitch.

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Split Stitch Step 1


This is what a row of split stitches looks like.  It’s so pretty, but definitely more time consuming than the stem stitch. 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Split Stitch Row

When you’ve finished all your stitching, you’ll want to finish the edges in some way.  I did this with pinking shears because it was super easy, but you could also sew the edges under, or if you have enough fabric, use some Heat N Bond to sew the edges.

Once that’s done, all that’s left is to sew it onto the tie! 

Doeblerghini Bunch:  Dad's Tie Patch - Finished Patch

I love how it turned out and I’m so excited to watch my Dad’s reaction when he sees the patch on the tie. 

Are you guys doing any special projects just for your parents?  This patch easily translates for any family member - I'm sure Moms would love seeing a patch like this sewn into the hem of their dress or inside a clutch.  

 If you end up trying my pattern for this patch, please send me pics of how it turns out and feel free to email me with any questions!  

No comments:

Post a Comment