Monday, November 18, 2013

Ring-a-ding-ding

Dude and I went wedding band shopping over the weekend; and I think it's starting to sink in that we're really getting married.  And, if we're being totally honest, every item we check off our ginormous wedding to-do list makes me just a tinge more nervous!

So on Saturday Dude and I visited the guys at Garcia's in downtown Pittsburgh, who also designed my engagement ring.  While designing it, Dude became pretty tight with just about everyone who worked in the shop and this was my first time meeting them all.  I heard all kinds of stories about Paco, Roberto, Miguel, and Pilar so it was awesome to finally put faces to the names.

Going in, I really had no idea what kind of band I wanted.  I knew I liked thin bands and I know from prior experience that I am allergic to metals other than gold.  Yellow gold doesn't really look the best with my pale skin, so white gold is a must.

So I tried on a few.  All photos personal (apologies for the iPhone quality and shaky hands!).

The Doeblerghini Bunch:  Wedding Band Shopping (Hers)

I absolutely love this ring.  Even looking at it now I get a little chill!  So gorgeous, but  know it looks weird with my engagement ring.  So bummed. 

Here's one with a bump out.
The Doeblerghini Bunch:  Wedding Band Shopping (Hers)

And turned around the other way.
The Doeblerghini Bunch:  Wedding Band Shopping (Hers)

And honestly, that was about it.  Those were the only ones I liked enough to even consider.

So, while Dude was trying on rings and catching up with his buddies, I sat with Pilar and she designed a band that would fit perfectly with my engagement ring. 

I'm thinking about getting London Blue Topaz stones instead of diamonds, what do you guys think? 

The Doeblerghini Bunch:  Wedding Band Shopping (Hers)

And here are the ones Dude liked for his wedding band.

The Doeblerghini Bunch:  Wedding Band Shopping (His)

Seriously, the man has gorgeous hands.  Is it weird that I really, really want to paint his nails??

The Doeblerghini Bunch:  Wedding Band Shopping (His)

The Doeblerghini Bunch:  Wedding Band Shopping (His)

To be totally honest, it's tough for me to tell the difference between all these bands; but Dude is VERY particular and he knew exactly what he wanted and these weren't them.

So while I looked at all the other gorgeous jewelery (anniversary band is already picked out!) in the shop, Dude sat with Pilar while she designed a band just for him - a European-style white gold band with a brushed finish on the outside edges and shiny gold in the middle.

Since custom rings take 6-8 weeks to make, we decided to delay purchasing them until we get closer to the wedding date.

Translation:  Dude knows I am impatient and wouldn't be able to let my gorgeous custom band sit in our closet for months and we'd end up getting married at the Courthouse 6 months before the wedding.

So, now, I'm going to obsessively track the price of gold since the cost of our rings is based on whatever gold is selling for when we order them.

What was your wedding band shopping experience like?  Did you know what you wanted going in?  Were you lucky enough to have an engagement ring that was part of a set? 

No comments:

Post a Comment